Mhammarah, literally means reddened, in this context, it refers to mixing hot red chillies with walnuts. Pomegranate syrup is added to sooth down the fiery effect of the chillies. Suitable for vegans and everybody else, this recipe is very basic and works well as an appetiser (mezza) before barbecues, while hanging around and sipping chilled drinks like beer or white wine. The other good thing about this dip is that you can prepare it well ahead of time, which in fact helps the flavours to develop.
Traditionally walnuts are the main ingredients, but you can vary by substituting a quarter of the quantity with pine nuts.
- 100 g / 4oz walnuts.
- 1 or 2 red hot chillies (depending how hot you prefer it) finely chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- Grind the walnuts to a paste or until relatively fine (if you like a bit of crunchiness), then tip into the serving bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well with the spoon. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Keep it in the fridge if you are not eating immediately.
- Serve with Lebanese bread, fresh crusty bread also goes well too.