As I mentioned previously, Whipped Marshmallow can be used as a substitute for Natef which is traditionally served with Ma’moul Madd (Walnut or pistachio Pastry). In fact you can hardly notice the difference.
This recipe uses raw egg white. You do need a mixer to achieve a good homogenised texture. I also noticed that because the sugar syrup is thick, I find it easier to use it when it is slightly warm.
- 200 g / 7 oz caster sugar
- 85 ml / 3 fl oz water
- 2 tsp each of orange blossom & rose water
- 1 egg white preferably organic
- Put the sugar and water into a small pan. Using medium to low heat, stir the mixture until the sugar has completely dissolved then increase the heat to bring to the boil. Now, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 3 minutes. Just before switching off, add the orange blossom and rose water, give it a good stir and leave it to cool slightly.
- Tip the egg white into the mixer and beat until stiff. With the beaters running at a low speed, trickle, very slowly, the sugar syrup onto the beaten egg white. After you’ve finished all of the syrup, leave the mixer running for about 3 minutes, until the mixture turns really thick but not stiff, it should be still spreadable, a shiny mousse like consistency.
- You could serve it immediately, or chill until ready to use. Better consumed within 24 hrs.